Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday - Kenai Fjords Boat Tour

I’m new at blogging, not sure what I did to get the posts out of sequence. It is bugging me but I can’t figure out how to fix it…. Sorry!!


Today we woke up to drizzle, fog, etc which I am finding out is normal summer weather here. We were afraid that our boat trip to tour Keani Fjords would be cancelled, but the wind cooperated and we were able to go! It was a really fun day despite the cold. I am glad that I stopped and purchased long underware yesterday because I really needed it!!!



The boat was warm when we were inside so that helped too. The first wildlife that we spotted were sea otters playing not far outside the Seward harbor area. As we continued to cruise toward Holgate Glacier, we ran across a Humpback Whale that entertained us for several minutes, pretty soon he dove deep and disappeared.



As we traveled around the point - the captain asked us all to sit down inside because the waters would be rough. Luckily I had taken my Dramamine and even luckier - IT WORKED!!! So many people were sick. I have been there myself and I felt really sorry for them. As we got closer to the glacier we saw many waterfalls coming down the mountainsides. I love waterfalls and too way too many pictures of them all.





The crew served a really good lunch buffet - roast beef, copper river salmon, rice, salad and bread. YUM!



Holgate Glacier was awesome! I never realized that a glacier is a blue color and that they make noise! The captain turned the boat off and we drifted at the glacier for about ½ hour. You can hear the ice cracking and falling - they call this “claving” we saw a couple of really good ones. The Ranger on board pointed out a black bear but it was really far away and not many of us could see it.



After the glacier we headed back toward Seward and we saw a pod of Orcas. There were a lot of them and we followed them slowly for quite a while - it is so hard to get pictures of them! We stayed as long as we could, but it was time to head back so we left the Orcas. Next we came upon a group of Dahl’s Porpoise. They played tag with the boat racing under our bow. They look like mini orcas and they, too, are difficult to get pictures of! We also saw Puffins and a lot of other sea birds. The day ended with a large group of Stellar Sea Lions on a rock near the shore and a dessert buffet! Life is good on the Kenai!



Tomorrow - Iditerod Kennels

No comments:

Post a Comment